Friday, August 23, 2013

facing the music

First there was this:

AWESOME PROGRESS!!! Little Man at his substitute daycare ASKED TWICE yesterday if he could find a quiet spot so that he could just take a break from the noise and movement......ASKED, no getting upset, no hitting, no meltdowns!!! WOOO HOOO - way to go Bubba! This is progress people! I might not have the same issues as you have with your kids - and sometimes it's hard to hear all the things that your kids can do without a second thought, but damn it, we are celebrating every single milestone, whenever we get to it, small steps at our own time! Autism Be Damned
And then there was this……..
                Eating my words - I guess this morning was hard, but if he did it, he can do it again.
                Two steps forward & one step back is still moving.

Which turned to tears……….mine
This shit is hard.
It seems like each day I cringe when I pull into the parking lot – hopeful, but with trepidation.  I want to run in and out – not to be stopped by a teacher, so as not to be told of the bad news.  To not be waved into the office once again to be told “your son did this again……”, “he can’t keep his hands to himself”, “he’s impulsive” or whatever the reason du jour is.  Some days I just can’t take it.  I want to run and hide.  To let someone else pick him up.   I miss him so much during the day, but feel guilty when it’s time to pick him up that I don’t want to hear it “once again”……………….  Some teachers are nice about it.  They understand he acts out usually due to some other behavior or a reaction of something else.  They get it.  Other’s don’t care to get it and don’t see him being bullied or someone being mean to him, so he reacts back.  He is impulsive and yes, he needs to be better at handling his emotions, but there is a whole picture to it – open your eyes people!
So, once again, I’m counting down the hours until pick up, knowing that I’m scared to go in and face the music.
 

1 comment: